Good Samaritan has a long history of service to the community dating back to its founding in 1920. Its original name was the A.C. Miliken Hospital, a 30-bed converted home, which was established by a group of area physicians. The hospital first became a Catholic facility in 1929 when it was placed in the hands of the Missionary Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. It was at this time the facility was renamed the Good Samaritan Hospital. The following year, the hospital moved to more spacious accommodations in the Francis W. Hughes Mansion and grew to 60-patient beds. Good Samaritan has remained at this location, literally growing up around the mansion, which remained standing until the mid-1950s. The hospital continued evolving through the years to its present 159 beds.
In 1980, the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent DePaul accepted the invitation to assume sponsorship of the hospital from the Missionary Sisters. The Daughters' sponsorship allowed Good Samaritan Hospital to remain a Catholic healthcare facility and continue its mission of service to the sick and poor. This affiliation also provides the hospital with the benefits of shared resources through Ascension Health and ED treatment online.
Today, Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, as it is now called, has adopted the vision to become the community's choice for health services that work well, are safe and leave no one behind. To that end, leadership and associates are working together to stay focused on customer satisfaction and patient safety.